2010-01-21

A Re-Post, Adding Another Dog

We were a single dog household, wait until the dog dies until now. Our springer Scruffy died, we got the samoyed Snowey. Snowey died, we went on vacation and got Buzz. Buzz was such a devil youngster and had such poor training that I begged for a "good dog" and got one (very surprisingly, but to this day mom says she still doesn't know how I can love Buzz so much). They're 20 months apart. I would really rather they were further apart in age, and I hate that they're "old" together, but another dog isn't in the cards right now. I would have added another dog (and had planned on, when my life situation was a bit different) when Buzz was 9, making Bailey 7.

Buzz would welcome a new addition, and I think Bailey would tolerate, maybe even enjoy a youngster too. I'm really, REALLY hoping that this year looks better for me. I never want them so close in age again, especially if I'm only going to have two dogs.

What's your situation like?

7 comments:

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck said...

Well Lance and Vito are 19 months apart. From the start I always knew that I wanted another (and another, and another!) dog but wanted to wait until Lance had all his foundations down pretty pat. Lance was a very mature puppy so my longing for another dog started pretty early with him. I wanted to wait until he was at least 2yrs to get another dog, but the Comos kind've pushed Vito's litter on me and I let them :)

I want another dog and my original requirement of having foundations down is still in place. With Vito this will take a bit longer though as while he is doing great he is not the mature puppy that Lance was. But now I've been starting to think and I do not want 3 old dogs, 2 is going to suck enough. So I'm thinking of waiting until Vito is 4yrs or so before getting #3. But who knows!

What is really holding you back from getting another? Tollers are cute!

Megan said...

I currently live with my mom due to the lack of a "real job" in this "real world." I don't have a steady enough income to move out, and mom has said NO MORE ANIMALS (put that in bold, italics, super giant font). Thus, no Toller puppy until I move out. Moving out requires securing a job. I'm looking for a real job, I really am... but it's hard to find one in my field (education) this time of year.

It really makes me sad Buzz & Bailey are old together, I'm just happy that neither really acts "old" normally.

Crystal (Thompson) Barrera said...

I just have the one. I've considered a second dog at times, and have come dangerously close on one occasion. Right now, I want to wait until Maisy's reactivity is a bit more under control before I add in another dog- she takes up a LOT of my time.

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck said...

ahh yes a real job. neither me or husband have a real job right now but at least we have 2 "fake" incomes that we can scrape by. Although I just might have a REAL job very soon, but just can't post any details since somebody currently has that position...

Megan said...

Oh, GOOD LUCK on the potential real job! Lots of {{vibes}} for you!

Looking, looking, looking for a job!

Crystal--You need to find another Maisy (of the non-reactive kind)!

Robin Sallie said...

Red and Blue are 8 months apart. I don't know what I was thinking. I am getting a puppy next summer. We are a 2 dog limit family but ... I need a puppy!

Megan said...

I want(ed) a belgian. I love the dog I've looked at. I just don't know if I can handle one. A toller is much more my size, and really, truly, love the breeder and dogs produced.

I need a puppy too! I DO!