2008-04-21

CHIC

As I'm sure most of my 'dog friends' are well aware, I'm quite obsessed with dog genetics and health. Of course, I know more about ESS in general, but I work on expanding my knowledge to other breeds whenever I have the chance.

Lately I've been contemplating what would be a good set of requirements for an English Springer Spaniel CHIC.

The 'obvious' are:
Hips (OFA, OVC, PennHIP)
Elbows (OFA, OVC)
PRA
CERF- at least every two years

From what I've heard, you don't want to make it "too complicated" at first, or no one will desire a CHIC number.

If I had my way... I would also include:
Shoulders (OFA)
Thyroid- after age 3
Cardiac- after age 3
PFK
Fucosidosis

Of course, I feel that all of these should be done prior to breeding. I don't believe dogs should be bred before reaching three years old, which is evident by the age restraint I would place on thyroid and cardiac, if I could have my way of course! :)

And "I know, I know" that running all of these tests would be mighty expensive. If they are spread out over time, it might not seem so bad! :)
  • PRA, PFK, Fucosidosis at a year old (if the PRA status isn't known based on parentage)
  • CERF at 2 years old
  • hips, elbows, shoulders done at 3 years
  • Thyroid and Cardiac done at 3.5-4 years old

Any male dogs I own in the future that come from breeders will be neutered at least after age two and will have hip, elbow, and shoulder xrays taken at the time of neuter and sent to OFA. The "other" stuff I would plan to do as I do now; take advantage of clinics and use them whenever available.

I love the Cardiac and CERF clinics at the TCVESSA August show. Even though I've only utilized them for a year now, I plan to continue into the future. Buzz will have a CERF exam and Cardiac exam this year while Bailey will probably only have a CERF.

1 comment:

shashank said...

Here is a link to more information about the genetics of Fucosidosis that was prepared by our genetic counselor and which has links to some useful resource for those dealing with this condition: http://www.accessdna.com/condition/Fucosidosis/740. There is also a number listed for anyone who wants to speak to a genetic counselor by phone. I hope it helps. Thanks, AccessDNA