2008-02-17

She's fixable!

I love my vet...

Dr. Enochs examined Bailey thoroughly (poking prodding, giving treats, checking for the difference in leg length, feeling for subluxuated disks, holding up each foot to check for resistance to stand on a certain leg) and looked through notes I had.

He thought we should take rays. So we did.

He took one of her right shoulder area and then we did OFA elbow xrays. I figured that since we were doing one elbow, we may as well do the other and send them in.

Wow were they clear, and he didn't even sedate her!


There is no bone cancer *phew that was my one HUGE fear* and it's a degenerative issue in her right elbow, most likely from a previous semi-minor injury. The super good news is he thinks she'll be fine and benefit from staying active, as long as I don't make her a "weekend warrior" so we have some strict orders to condition her long before a trial and long after (got that), some rimadyl for two days prior and two days after a trial (and of course during). I'm also going to put her on a full strength glucosamine/chondroitin supplement. Going to try the K9 Joint Health first because it worked well for Buzz and I can buy it by the gallon which will help immensly with two dogs on it consistently now. It has Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM, plus a few other "goodies" in there for them.

He said she should definitely be able to run tunnelers in March as long as we get her on the joint supplement and we keep her active. And do the rimadyl. I'm so happy my dog is FIXABLE!

He doesn't know how OFA will grade her elbows. There is definite degeneration, but the elbow conformation was really good he said so we'll see. I'm not too concerned about the result, but he's as interested as I am to see what they say. In all honesty, I don't think they'll pass. I guess all we can do is wait and see though.

Again, I'm so thrilled I get to continue playing with this monster... :)

Photobucket

No comments: