2008-02-19

breeders

I've done a lot of learning over the last few years (and I'm sure I'll be learning continually forever) but there are still things that boggle my mind about some breeders.

I know that I've said this before too but, "this is a once in a lifetime breeding" isn't ever true. Especially when, in essence, sacrificing health. I have a feeling that if a breeder searched hard enough, and outside their own dogs, a dog that is just as good, or even better... would be available.

I'm being quite vague on purpose, because I've heard this happen time and time again. Just to "preserve" a line, many aspects are sacrificed. Even more common though, is a person wanting to breed "their" dogs, instead of searching out another male for their bitch. *bangs head against wall* Don't be kennel blind, and don't breed for just ONE thing.

All dogs should be well rounded, with the fees paid to handlers someone could take a lot of obedience, agility, rally, tracking, hunting, herding, etc. classes and even have money left over to enter trials.


I guess that's why I'm still not planning to be a breeder. Too many people call themselves "breeders" and they are, in that they reproduce animals... but they're lacking in the responsible reasons for breeding.

No comments: