2008-01-03

Tracking

I ended up getting "Tracking From the Ground Up" for Christmas, my mom just forgot she ordered it since it didn't come in time!

So, today I started reading and we did a few "intro" exercises. I already foresee a few problems, but I don't think they'll be major.

1) I have to track on the snowmobile tracks because the "regular" snow is too powdery and the treats just get buried.

2) The dogs are used to wearing harnesses for walks or just around the house. I do want them to know that "we're going tracking" instead of "we're going walking" and I'll eventually probably buy a real tracking harness, but for now I think they'll be fine taking cues from the start flag and my verbal cue to "track!" to realize we're NOT just going for a walk.

3) I REALLY need to work on keeping track of what we do. I was really good today, got out a notebook and sketched what I did along with a write up for each dog. I was really pleased with how it started.

Now I'm off to work on tricks for fun and then walk the dogs separately because
A) I need the exercise
B) I prefer walking them separately because Bailey really doesn't have good walking skills but we can work on them and she's much better if Buzz isn't with.

Gotta get my butt going though, been on the computer off and on most of the morning!

No comments: